American Printing House for the Blind (APH) Federal Quota Funds
In Iowa we use our Federal quota funds to best meet the needs of all the students who are registered under the Act to Promote the Education of the Blind. We do not specify a dollar amount per student, but instead use the annual allocation to purchase the highest priority items for Iowa’s registered students. The following directions are to be used by all Iowa educators when ordering items to be purchased with APH Quota funds. Orders may be placed at any time.
Students must be registered on the APH Census in order to receive APH items
APH Assessment Kits-
- Teachers of Students with Visual Impairments (TVI) can order complete kits with Quota funds to use for student assessments and intervention. Because of the cost of kits, teachers are encouraged to share kits to the greatest extent possible (one kit per office). Please turn extra or unneeded kits back into the inventory at Iowa Braille School for other teacher use.
- When specific items in a kit have been identified which are especially beneficial to a student’s educational program, those specific items should be ordered for the student using Quota funds. Individual items can be found in the APH catalog section titled, “Replacement Parts.”
- When turning kits back into the inventory please identify and make note of any missing parts or pieces.
Consumables- In order to better use our Quota dollars to purchase equipment, some restrictions apply to ordering consumables such as paper products.
- Pin-fed or continuous feed braille paper and pin-fed or continuous feed braillable labels are not currently eligible for purchase with Quota funds in Iowa.
- Braille paper, labels and sheets may be ordered as starter kits for newly identified students or move-ins to ensure access to consumables while awaiting the district order of these supplies. This would be one time only.
- Staff (TVIs and OMS) may order pin-fed or continuous feed braille paper and braillable labels and sheets for their use in preparing materials for their students’ lessons.
- Braille consumable products may be ordered through APH for children age 0 to 3 on Individual Family Service Plans (IFSP).
* Pin-fed or continuous feed braille paper and pin-fed or continuous feed braillable labels should be purchased for students by the school. TVIs will provide ordering information from American Thermoform to the schools.
- Student-specific equipment ordered through APH should follow a trial of the device through the Assistive Device Center.
- All technology should be trialed first before ordering for a specific student.
- Data will be collected during the trial period to insure that it is the best equipment for the student, and that it will be used by the student.
- Joy Players are exempt from trials. However, if the Joy Player is not a good fit for the student or is not being used by the student, please return it to our inventory.
- Special Circumstance Long Term Loan of VisioBooks
- Students who are in High School (grades 9-12) are eligible for a long term loan of one VisioBook purchased with Quota dollars. Need will be determined based on a 6 week intervention conducted by the student’s TVI. This policy is suggested in order to save school districts $2750 expenditure for students who will be graduating in 4 years or less.
- Equipment that is not working should be sent back to Iowa Braille School with the problem clearly identified. This will prevent sending poorly functioning equipment out to another user.
- Although it may be efficient to have a number of pieces of equipment for access by the student in different environments, the limitation of the inventory necessitate sharing technology across environments.
1. When parents make special requests for materials, the TVI and the Ex-Officio Trustee will evaluate the requests based on the individual student’s needs. Generally, the items should be ordered with Quota funds only if the TVI has modeled their use with the child.
- You may order materials at any time. Please use the order form posted on the IBS website. Orders will be acted upon as received.
- Send your unused materials, equipment and kits back to Iowa Braille School. An inventory is maintained and items will be reused, whenever possible, instead of ordering new.
Ex Officio Trustee
Ex Officio Trustee Assistant
Library Assistant III
319-472-5221 ext. 4044